[blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Fri Nov 9 15:19:03 PST 2012

--- Em sex, 9/11/12, Bruce Dubbs escreveu:

> De: Bruce Dubbs
> Assunto: Re: [blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world
> Para: "BLFS Support List"
> Data: Sexta-feira, 9 de Novembro de 2012, 19:51
> Armin K. wrote:
>
> > As someone said, GNOME isn't a desktop, it is a
> research project.
>
> LOL.
>
> > I wasn't using KDE till this year, but it seems that
> they are going and
> > still go in correct direction - listening to the users
> (at least up to
> > some point).
> >
> > And as I've read somewhere, GNOME 3.10 or 3.12 might
> actualy become
> > GNOME 4 and it will be used for GNOME OS - an operating
> system mostly
> > for touch devices.
>
> Perhaps we are a pivot point in the PC computing
> field.  All the touch
> stuff in phones and tablets is the 'in' thing but, in my
> opinion, the
> touch stuff is for someone who is only interested in reading
> email and
> web pages or watching videos.

Add facebook and twiter addiction.

> The finger is a terrible
> input device.
> It's slow and clumsy.  It looks cool, but it's very
> limited.

I have got a tablet just for mail and for monitoring the PC's work when I
am in bed watching TV. It is useful, but more than that, it is hateful.
Anything more elaborated, such as copy/paste or even selecting text, is
terrible to do, the characters are microscopic (I always remember Ken,
when my eyes get tired). I have lost many battles trying to do these
things.

> On the other hand, the typical workstation does what most
> people want
> for work: spreadsheets, composing emails, programming, etc
> as well as
> everything else the phones and tablets do.  It really
> doesn't need a lot
> of design changes.  The only real changes needed are
> incremental; at
> least until we get to real artificial intelligence.

Or commercial quantum computing.

[]s,
Fernando