[blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Fri Nov 9 15:00:42 PST 2012

On 11/09/2012 11:51 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Armin K. wrote:
>
>> As someone said, GNOME isn't a desktop, it is a research project.
>
> LOL.

I forgot to mention that it is becoming more and more integrated with
systemd for user session management, so it is just matter of time where
systemd will be required.

>> I wasn't using KDE till this year, but it seems that they are going and
>> still go in correct direction - listening to the users (at least up to
>> some point).
>>
>> And as I've read somewhere, GNOME 3.10 or 3.12 might actualy become
>> GNOME 4 and it will be used for GNOME OS - an operating system mostly
>> for touch devices.
>
> Perhaps we are a pivot point in the PC computing field.  All the touch
> stuff in phones and tablets is the 'in' thing but, in my opinion, the
> touch stuff is for someone who is only interested in reading email and
> web pages or watching videos.  The finger is a terrible input device.
> It's slow and clumsy.  It looks cool, but it's very limited.
>
> On the other hand, the typical workstation does what most people want
> for work: spreadsheets, composing emails, programming, etc as well as
> everything else the phones and tablets do.  It really doesn't need a lot
> of design changes.  The only real changes needed are incremental; at
> least until we get to real artificial intelligence.
>
>     -- Bruce

Have you ever looked at what GNOME Shell looks like? It looks nearly the
same as the stuff on smart phones (Android, iOS) or, at least, it
behaves like it. You can look at youtube or google pictures and see what
I am talking about.

Now, we are responsible for PC world, not touch world and GNOME will
soon have no place in PC world if it continues like this.

(Found the GNOME 4 news
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE0ODg)