[blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Fri Nov 9 14:34:15 PST 2012

On 11/09/2012 11:27 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Armin K. wrote:
>> Good morning/afternoon/evening.
>
>> That said, I won't maintain GNOME in the book and if you ask me, you can
>> drop it completely. In BLFS we don't tend to force users to do something
>> and keeping GNOME would force (some) users to use mesa with llvm for
>> llvmpipe in order to use GNOME.
>>
>> There is 3.6.2 release comming and that would be last revision regarding
>> GNOME from me.
>
> I understand where you are coming from.  I gave up on GNOME some time
> ago when I was just installing and testing one of the commercial
> distros.  I also had an issue with the KDE window manager, but like
> their applications.  My solution is to build KDE and XFCE and run the
> KDE apps in XFCE.  Works fine.
>
> As far as dropping it from the book, I'm not so sure.  I think we have a
> decent snapshot and can leave it alone without either upgrading or
> dropping it.  A note at the start would explain our position.
>
> One thing I'd like to point out is that a lot of people really didn't
> like KDE4 when it first came out.  It took a couple of years to get it
> into reasonable shape.  Perhaps that will happen to GNOME.
>
>     -- Bruce

As someone said, GNOME isn't a desktop, it is a research project. I
wasn't using KDE till this year, but it seems that they are going and
still go in correct direction - listening to the users (at least up to
some point).

And as I've read somewhere, GNOME 3.10 or 3.12 might actualy become
GNOME 4 and it will be used for GNOME OS - an operating system mostly
for touch devices.