[blfs-support] Guidance On BLFS Package Dependencies

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 12:39:25 PST 2012

Feuerbacher, Alan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm soon going to start building BLFS for the 2nd time -- this time
> on my new system -- and I'd like some guidance on package
> dependencies. I'm building the development version of LFS right now.
>
> The first time around I found by trial and error that most packages
> have dependencies of some sort, either required or recommended. Some
> package recommendations turned out to have circular dependencies,
> such as ghostscript and texlive. Is there a way, short of looking at
> every package installation page, to find the dependencies so that I
> can install everything in an efficient manner?

Not really.  You really need to decide what your needs are and follow
the dependency packages backward.  That is part of the learning process.
  I did write a page about updating an entire system that gives the
order I used, but your needs may be different.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~bdubbs/files/updating-lfs.html

> Another thing: The first time around I had only a vague idea of what
> BLFS packages would be useful to have already installed before I
> fired up LFS for the first time. The LFS book recommends GPM, Lynx or
> the equivalent, and Dhcpcd.
>
> What other BLFS packages would you recommend to make life easier? I
> have my own ideas about this, having gone through the installation
> once, but I'd like some advice from experienced people.
>
> The LFS book, in section 9.3, states:
>
> "Installing a text mode web browser, such as Lynx, you can easily
> view the BLFS book in one virtual terminal, while building packages
> in another."

That assumes that you boot to the new LFS and boot from there.  I
basically never do that.  It's much easier to build from chroot or, in
my typical case, from ssh on a different system.

> This assumes that you've installed a terminal program of some sort.
> What programs work well in a system that does not yet have X
> installed?

The terminal program is built into LFS and started by agetty as
specifiec in /etc/inittab.  agetty is not a terminal program itself, but
the tty IS the terminal.

> Finally, as I installed certain BLFS programs, I found that a few
> required certain modules to be installed in the Linux kernel. Is
> there a good way to figure this out BEFORE compiling the kernel so
> that I don't have to recompile it several times?

Depends on your needs.  I still find that I need to rebuild a new kernel
occasionally for a new need.  The only alternative is to build
everything in the kernel, generally as a module.

   -- Bruce