[blfs-support] Guidance On BLFS Package Dependencies

Matt Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 9 11:32:20 PST 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 13:42 -0500, Chris Staub wrote:
> On 11/09/2012 01:26 PM, Feuerbacher, Alan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm soon going to start building BLFS for the 2nd time -- this time on my new system -- and I'd like some guidance on package dependencies. I'm building the development version of LFS right now.
> >
> > The first time around I found by trial and error that most packages have dependencies of some sort, either required or recommended. Some package recommendations turned out to have circular dependencies, such as ghostscript and texlive. Is there a way, short of looking at every package installation page, to find the dependencies so that I can install everything in an efficient manner?
>
> I have seen a tool someone wrote once to go through the BLFS source and
> graph all the dependencies, though I can't seem to find where that was.

I wrote a dependency resolver for BLFS.  It can be found at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~matthew/depresolver-001.tar.gz.

I've not used it since writing it over 2 years ago now, so it may be a
bit rough around the edges (the BLFS source may have moved on too much
for it to cope, as may one of its dependencies, SQLAlchemy.  Anyway, if
you want to give it a try, Alan, I'll be happy to provide any support
you need.

Thanks,

Matt.