[blfs-support] Guidance On BLFS Package Dependencies

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Fri Nov 9 10:42:18 PST 2012

On 11/09/2012 01:26 PM, Feuerbacher, Alan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm soon going to start building BLFS for the 2nd time -- this time on my new system -- and I'd like some guidance on package dependencies. I'm building the development version of LFS right now.
>
> The first time around I found by trial and error that most packages have dependencies of some sort, either required or recommended. Some package recommendations turned out to have circular dependencies, such as ghostscript and texlive. Is there a way, short of looking at every package installation page, to find the dependencies so that I can install everything in an efficient manner?

I have seen a tool someone wrote once to go through the BLFS source and
graph all the dependencies, though I can't seem to find where that was.
Otherwise, yes, just read the book and install dependencies as needed.
One approach might be to open the book to some package you eventually
want, for example Firefox, then open a new window/tab with each
dependency (and do the same with each of *their* dependencies) and close
each one as it's installed.

Then of course, make a note of what you installed in what order so that
it's easier next time.

> Another thing: The first time around I had only a vague idea of what BLFS packages would be useful to have already installed before I fired up LFS for the first time. The LFS book recommends GPM, Lynx or the equivalent, and Dhcpcd.
>
> What other BLFS packages would you recommend to make life easier? I have my own ideas about this, having gone through the installation once, but I'd like some advice from experienced people.

Depends largely on your own needs, really - that's kinda the whole point
of BLFS. The beginning of the book does mention a few packages you might
want.

> The LFS book, in section 9.3, states:
>
> "Installing a text mode web browser, such as Lynx, you can easily view the BLFS book in one virtual terminal, while building packages in another."
>
> This assumes that you've installed a terminal program of some sort. What programs work well in a system that does not yet have X installed?

I suggest you learn what is meant by a "virtual terminal" before trying
to continue with LFS... (hint: Google "linux virtual terminal)

> Finally, as I installed certain BLFS programs, I found that a few required certain modules to be installed in the Linux kernel. Is there a good way to figure this out BEFORE compiling the kernel so that I don't have to recompile it several times?

The BLFS book lists needed kernel options for each package it contains,
and the Index at the end even summarizes all the packages that have that
info.