[blfs-support] Guidance On BLFS Package Dependencies

Feuerbacher, Alan AFeuerbacher at ALLEGROMICRO.com
Fri Nov 9 10:26:13 PST 2012

Hi,

I'm soon going to start building BLFS for the 2nd time -- this time on my new system -- and I'd like some guidance on package dependencies. I'm building the development version of LFS right now.

The first time around I found by trial and error that most packages have dependencies of some sort, either required or recommended. Some package recommendations turned out to have circular dependencies, such as ghostscript and texlive. Is there a way, short of looking at every package installation page, to find the dependencies so that I can install everything in an efficient manner?

Another thing: The first time around I had only a vague idea of what BLFS packages would be useful to have already installed before I fired up LFS for the first time. The LFS book recommends GPM, Lynx or the equivalent, and Dhcpcd.

What other BLFS packages would you recommend to make life easier? I have my own ideas about this, having gone through the installation once, but I'd like some advice from experienced people.

The LFS book, in section 9.3, states:

"Installing a text mode web browser, such as Lynx, you can easily view the BLFS book in one virtual terminal, while building packages in another."

This assumes that you've installed a terminal program of some sort. What programs work well in a system that does not yet have X installed?

Finally, as I installed certain BLFS programs, I found that a few required certain modules to be installed in the Linux kernel. Is there a good way to figure this out BEFORE compiling the kernel so that I don't have to recompile it several times?

Thanks,
Alan