[blfs-support] black screen and cursor after installing gdm in blfs

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 7 14:38:23 PST 2012

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 02:40:38AM +0530, James Pinto wrote:

> I installed consolekit 0.4.6 and thenetworknotifier started working in the
> normal user account :-), but I still couldnt solve the time setting:-(.
> I have yet to try that for the webcam

 Does your LFS system not show a sensible time ? (modulo problems
with the battery dieing - but that would upset 'make' so you would
have real problems compiling *anything* serious).  The historical
baggage of unix means I'm asking about the 'date' command when I ask
about 'time' 8)

 LFS chapter 6 glibc : 'tzselect' and /etc/localtime.

 You appear to be in India, and google tells me that all of that
country is in the same timezone.  So, tzselect -> 5 (Asia) -> 14
(India) - well, at least on this early-August system I'm currently
using - should give you TZ='Asia/Kolkata'

 And if your system is set to use UTC, then LFS section 7.9 will
tell you to use UTC=1 in /etc/sysconfig/clock.

 Hint: if the LFS/BLFS system shows a problem, it is best to address
that as soon as you notice the problem!  It is also worth running
tests in the completed system (I don't mean running 'make check' in
packages!) to see if everything seems to be *working* correctly.

ĸen