[blfs-support] black screen and cursor after installing gdm in blfs

James Pinto james.pinto at phoenixfusion.in
Wed Nov 7 11:26:03 PST 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Armin K. <krejzi at email.com> wrote:

> On 11/07/2012 04:12 PM, James Pinto wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I had installed ConsoleKit-0.4.5 in the blfs Version 2012-07-10
> >
> > So if I have to install ConsoleKit-0.4.6
> > <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/consolekit.html>
> > i will have to reinstall all its dependencies again (newer versions)
> > even meddle with shadow and PAM (new versions).
> > Is there any way I can create the file by reinstalling the same old
> > version of ConsoleKit-0.4.5 and configuring it?
> >

> Just install 0.4.6. You shouldn't have any problems with current
> packages you have. You NEED 0.4.6 for udev-acl tool.
>
> > I dont have any visible problems with network manager except that the
> > network icon (applet) doesnt show on the taskbar (only happens with a
> > normal user, it shows when logged into root), but internet works
> > perfectly even wifi
> >
> > Im guessing maybe I have to add the user to some group....?
> >

> ConsoleKit handles that (pam-foreground-compat script from ConsoleKit
> 0.4.6).
>
> > Apart from this I have this annoying problem with the time settings. I
> > cant seem to fix it. I used setclock according to the book and that
> > fixed the time temporarily but when I logout and login again I cant fix
> > the time. I cant also change the time using the graphical date and time
> > settting option.
>
> Everything you say is problem with ConsoleKit (the graphical stuff).
>
> Did you configure your time zone in LFS? (/etc/localtime and
> /etc/sysconfig/setclock or whatever).
> --

Hi

>>Just install 0.4.6. You shouldn't have any problems with current
>>packages you have. You NEED 0.4.6 for udev-acl tool.
I will install it and let u know...

>>Did you configure your time zone in LFS? (/etc/localtime and
>>/etc/sysconfig/setclock or whatever).
Yes I have done both

I also couldnt get my inbuilt webcam to work I have installed cheese
Do I have to enable

        gspca_main      main driver
<http://lxr.linux.no/linux+*/Documentation/video4linux/gspca.txt#L5>
     gspca_xxxx      subdriver module with xxxx
in my kernel and recompile? is this eough or do I need to enable any
other options?

Regards
--
James Earnest Pinto