[blfs-support] black screen and cursor after installing gdm in blfs

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Tue Nov 6 09:47:39 PST 2012

Dana 6.11.2012 18:21, James Pinto je napisao:
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Armin K. <krejzi at email.com
> <mailto:krejzi at email.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/06/2012 06:03 AM, James Pinto wrote:
>      >
>      > Hi
>      >
>      > I have attached the gdm logs. And heres the mediafire link to
>     them also:-
>      >
>      > http://www.mediafire.com/?e5ls3r420obnhf6,ja8trab1o7rxc9c
>      >
>      > Also heres the  output of the groups command from a *normal user*:-
>      > #  groups
>      > james video
>      >   As root I get the the word 'root' as ouput for the command groups.
>      >
>      > I have also installed openssh and gtk-engines
>      >
>      > I tried startx after logging into the normal user '*james*' but I
>     only
>      > the the 4 xterm windows instead of going into gnome 3.
>      >
>      > Also the output of glxinfo as a *normal user* says Error:unable
>     to open
>      > graphics.
>      >
>      > But as *root *the output of glxinfo is :-
>      > http://pastebin.com/94kA84ey
>      >
>      > Regards
>      > --
>
>     Wow, that's new one.
>
>     I noticed few things. .xsession-errors still shows same output about
>     gtk-engines and ssh-agent (not very important).
>
>     This might be a culprit for gdm failure:
>
>     _IceTransSocketUNIXConnect: Cannot connect to non-local host
>     phoenixfusion
>
>     your "hostname" should resolve to local address (192.168.x.x, 10.10.x.x
>     or 127.0.1.1)
>
>     What does "cat /etc/hosts" say?
>
>     I recommend you add your user to group "audio" as described on
>     alsa-utils page (not related, but can help you to avoid further
>     problems).
>
>     Also, you should add user "gdm" to "audio" and "video" groups as
>     described on gdm page (if not done already).
>
>     Regarding glxinfo and permission denied, that is the problem why shell
>     isn't starting. Please run this as normal user and post the whole output
>
>     LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo
>
>     And at last, does /lib/udev/udev-acl exist? (ls -ld /lib/udev/udev-acl)
>     --
>

> Hi
>
> cat /etc/hosts
> # Begin /etc/hosts (network card version)
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 192.168.1.1 lfshome
> # End /etc/hosts (network card version)

Alright, check if your hostname is actually lfshome by typing
"hostname". Many problems can arise if hostname isn't configured properly.

>  >>I recommend you add your user to group "audio" as described on
> alsa-utils page (not related, but can help you to avoid further problems).
> Done
>
>  >>Also, you should add user "gdm" to "audio" and "video" groups as
> described on gdm page (if not done already).
> Done (*this was'nt in the Beyond Linux^® From Scratch - Version
> 2012-07-10 book*) I took this from the online current book.
>
>  >>LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo
> The below link is for the output of the above command.
> http://pastebin.com/htsKzATv

Looks fine now.

> The below file does not exist
> ls -ld /lib/udev/udev-acl
> ls: cannot access /lib/udev/udev-acl: No such file or directory

I'd suggest that you reinstall ConsoleKit 0.4.6 in order to get that
file. It can do some nice things like granting access permissions to
some root-only-accessible device nodes.

> After doing the above steps I was finally able to login as the user
> normally thanks a ton for all the patience and help!
>
> But I still have the below contents for the .xsession-errors file
> http://pastebin.com/p6z5KQPi

For the NetworkManager problems, please redo whole ConsoleKit page
including the Configuration. I think you might have lost PAM
configuration and ck-compat file.

For the Bluetooth-WARNING **: Could not open RFKILL control device",
create the file after "make install" that is available in latest
gnome-bluetooth instructions. (in /lib/udev/rules.d ..) after you have
installed ConsoleKit and confirmed that udev-acl exists in the path I
pointed to earlier.

For the gnome-shell-calendar warning, you might want to install
Evolution (not Evolution Data Server) though it can be ignored.

Others are just runtime warnings and errors, they can be safely ignored.