[blfs-support] black screen and cursor after installing gdm in blfs

James Pinto james.pinto at phoenixfusion.in
Tue Nov 6 09:21:41 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Armin K. <krejzi at email.com> wrote:

> On 11/06/2012 06:03 AM, James Pinto wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I have attached the gdm logs. And heres the mediafire link to them also:-
> >
> > http://www.mediafire.com/?e5ls3r420obnhf6,ja8trab1o7rxc9c
> >
> > Also heres the  output of the groups command from a *normal user*:-
> > #  groups
> > james video
> >   As root I get the the word 'root' as ouput for the command groups.
> >
> > I have also installed openssh and gtk-engines
> >
> > I tried startx after logging into the normal user '*james*' but I only
> > the the 4 xterm windows instead of going into gnome 3.
> >
> > Also the output of glxinfo as a *normal user* says Error:unable to open
> > graphics.
> >
> > But as *root *the output of glxinfo is :-
> > http://pastebin.com/94kA84ey
> >
> > Regards
> > --
>
> Wow, that's new one.
>
> I noticed few things. .xsession-errors still shows same output about
> gtk-engines and ssh-agent (not very important).
>
> This might be a culprit for gdm failure:
>
> _IceTransSocketUNIXConnect: Cannot connect to non-local host phoenixfusion
>
> your "hostname" should resolve to local address (192.168.x.x, 10.10.x.x
> or 127.0.1.1)
>
> What does "cat /etc/hosts" say?
>
> I recommend you add your user to group "audio" as described on
> alsa-utils page (not related, but can help you to avoid further problems).
>
> Also, you should add user "gdm" to "audio" and "video" groups as
> described on gdm page (if not done already).
>
> Regarding glxinfo and permission denied, that is the problem why shell
> isn't starting. Please run this as normal user and post the whole output
>
> LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo
>
> And at last, does /lib/udev/udev-acl exist? (ls -ld /lib/udev/udev-acl)
> --

Hi

cat /etc/hosts
# Begin /etc/hosts (network card version)
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.1 lfshome
# End /etc/hosts (network card version)

>>I recommend you add your user to group "audio" as described on
alsa-utils page (not related, but can help you to avoid further problems).
Done

>>Also, you should add user "gdm" to "audio" and "video" groups as
described on gdm page (if not done already).
Done (*this was'nt in the Beyond Linux® From Scratch - Version 2012-07-10
book*) I took this from the online current book.

>>LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo
The below link is for the output of the above command.
http://pastebin.com/htsKzATv

The below file does not exist
ls -ld /lib/udev/udev-acl
ls: cannot access /lib/udev/udev-acl: No such file or directory

After doing the above steps I was finally able to login as the user
normally thanks a ton for all the patience and help!

But I still have the below contents for the .xsession-errors file
http://pastebin.com/p6z5KQPi

Regards
--
James Earnest Pinto