[blfs-support] errors building libpng

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 18:43:39 PST 2012

Jim Michmerhuizen wrote:
> rain, pour, pot kettle black etc.
>
> Am I being oversensitive?  Building libpng-1.5.13 generated this
> sequence of warnings and a final error message:
>
> ========================================== BEGIN QUOTED BUILD OUTPUT
> ...snip...
> gawk -f ./scripts/checksym.awk ./scripts/symbols.def\
>       scripts/symbols.out >&2

> I've looked at the awk script that generated this, and it all seems
> pretty innocent, but can anybody confirm that it really is?
>
> In the meantime I'm continuing the build.

The most recent version I had was 1.5.12, but I downloaded .13 and got
the same error you did in make check.  This did not show up in .12.

A .def script is only for Windows.

The make install does not touch any symbols file.  I suppose we need to
add a sed to Makefile.in to disable this.

sed -i '/^check: scripts\/symbols.chk/d' Makefile.in
./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-static
make
make check
make install

   -- Bruce