[blfs-support] Mesalib patches

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 3 21:15:08 PDT 2012

On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 08:56:49PM -0400, Jim Michmerhuizen wrote:
> I'm building Mesalib according to the 2012-09-28 BLFS book.
>
> But the required patchfile isn't up there for downloading.  Instead,
> there's a patchfile evidently keyed to version 9 rather than 8.0.4.
>
> I should
> 	a) update my BLFS book, and start over with Mesalib, or
> 	b) continue with v8.0.4, ignoring the required patchfile, or
> 	c) something else.
>
> What's the right thing to do?
>
> P.S. The 7.2 LFS is working fine since I finished it about a month ago.

 I suppose this is a sie-effect of how the books are generated, with
patches copied to some other place.  At the moment I can see two
versions of the 8.0.4-add_xdemos patch [ you would want the latest ]
and also the llvm-3.1-fixes patch, at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/downloads/MesaLib/

 The "direct" links from the book break when the book gets
updated to a newer version, but the patches should remain in
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/downloads/

 If you are using an nvidia video card which is supported by
nouveau, the current book is probably better.  Arguably, the current
book is better for ati too [ I'm using 6.14.6 which is now in the
book and needs a newer libdrm than was appropriate for Mesa-8 with
nouveau ] and probably for intel (I haven't used newer than 2.20.3
but I see the book is now at 2.20.12) - that too will need a newer
libdrm than what was in the book for Mesa-8.

 For xorg itself, I don't think anything beyond Mesa has changed
recently, so on balance I think you should upgrade to the current
BLFS book for your remaining packages.  If you haven't finished
building xorg, you won't have built gtk+-{2,3} let alone any of the
gnome packages, so I guess you will be fine to carry on with the
newer versions.

 But for the future, patches should always be available in the
patches project.  The *right* thing to do is whatever works for you:
sometimes we update patches to fix problems, other times we move
packages to newer versions - sometimes (e.g. gnome) you need to
update a lot of packages to the newer versions rather than just
changing one or two,

ĸen