[blfs-support] Cups problem

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 23 16:43:31 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:25:52AM +0000, Andrew Benton wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 01:04:04 +0100
> "Thomas de Roo" <thomas at de-roo.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a problem with CUPS. I installed Ghostscript, CUPS, and Gutenprint, configured my printer "printer" with a Gutenprint-driver, but it fails to print:
> >
> > root [ ~ ]# lp -d printer /etc/exports
> > lp: Unsupported document-format "text/plain".
> >
> > A test-page from the adminwebsite gives this error:
> >
> > Unsupported format "application/vnd.cups-banner".
> >
> > Both text/plain and application/vnd.cups-banner are in /usr/share/cups/mime/mime.convs and /usr/share/cups/mime/mime.types.
> >
> > Any ideas where I should look next?
>
> I'm temped to say "Run away! Run Away!". Printing can be hard to get
> working sometimes. I don't have any magic solution, but I always start
> by editing /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, set LogLevel to debug and restart the
> cups daemon so it reloads it's config. Then try to print something and
> look in /var/log/cups/error_log for lines that begin with E for error.
> Google on the error messages (it may help but there's no guarantee).
> Good luck.
>
> Andy
 Last time this happened to me (November, building my first LFS-7.0
desktop) I think I finally understood *why* this sometimes happened
to me (at least 5 times in the past 3 years).  I build cups early
(before gtk, so that the queue(s) will be visible), but the print
stack is not complete until both firefox (to access localhost:630)
and gutenprint have been built.  Nowadays, there is often a two-day
gap between the beginning and end of the process (depending what
else changed).  So, if I power off after building cups, cups will
start on the next boot even though the print stack isn't complete.

 My theory is that cups doesn't load something dynamically (because
whatever it is doesn't exist).  The last time this happened to me,
bouncing cups (i.e. stopping and starting it) solved the problem.
Note that restarting the daemon after changing loglevel probably
achieves the same thing.  Well, that's my theory, hope it works for
you!

ĸen