[blfs-support] Cups problem

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 16:25:52 PST 2012

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 01:04:04 +0100
"Thomas de Roo" <thomas at de-roo.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with CUPS. I installed Ghostscript, CUPS, and Gutenprint, configured my printer "printer" with a Gutenprint-driver, but it fails to print:
>
> root [ ~ ]# lp -d printer /etc/exports
> lp: Unsupported document-format "text/plain".
>
> A test-page from the adminwebsite gives this error:
>
> Unsupported format "application/vnd.cups-banner".
>
> Both text/plain and application/vnd.cups-banner are in /usr/share/cups/mime/mime.convs and /usr/share/cups/mime/mime.types.
>
> Any ideas where I should look next?

I'm temped to say "Run away! Run Away!". Printing can be hard to get
working sometimes. I don't have any magic solution, but I always start
by editing /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, set LogLevel to debug and restart the
cups daemon so it reloads it's config. Then try to print something and
look in /var/log/cups/error_log for lines that begin with E for error.
Google on the error messages (it may help but there's no guarantee).
Good luck.

Andy