[blfs-support] Make 3.82 Dev86src triple bug fixes patch

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 14:24:34 PST 2012

Matt Burgess wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 14:26 -0500, Michael Shell wrote:
>> I know this is more of a LFS issue (feel free to forward this to
>> LFS if you wish), but Make 3.82 has a few bugs that affect the
>> compilation of packages outside those required in LFS book.
>>
>> In particular, the Dev86src package (needed to build lilo) cannot be
>> built using make 3.82. There is a CLFS patch for Dev86src to get
>> it to work under make 3.82:
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/clfs-dev@lists.cross-lfs.org/msg01541.html
>>
>> But this is a workaround for an actual bug in make 3.82. Anyway, for
>> those interested, I found a patch that fixes this make bug as well as
>> two other ones.
>
> Without the patch, I see this:
>
> make[4]: *** No rule to make target `__ldivmod.o)', needed by
> `/sources/dev86-0.16.17/libc/libc.a'.  Stop.

I was able to get this to make without error using make-3.81 on a a
pentium.  For my x86_64 and make-3.82 system, I got the same failure (no
patch).

The Makefile has a timestamp of Mar 8, 1997.  Could it be that the
problem is trying to build x86 assembly on an x86_64?

Personally, I don't think LFS has an obligation to support 16 year old
code that is needed for a boot loader that we don't support.

   -- Bruce