[blfs-support] Make 3.82 Dev86src triple bug fixes patch

Matt Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 16 13:53:03 PST 2012

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 14:26 -0500, Michael Shell wrote:

> I know this is more of a LFS issue (feel free to forward this to
> LFS if you wish), but Make 3.82 has a few bugs that affect the
> compilation of packages outside those required in LFS book.
>
> In particular, the Dev86src package (needed to build lilo) cannot be
> built using make 3.82. There is a CLFS patch for Dev86src to get
> it to work under make 3.82:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/clfs-dev@lists.cross-lfs.org/msg01541.html
>
> But this is a workaround for an actual bug in make 3.82. Anyway, for
> those interested, I found a patch that fixes this make bug as well as
> two other ones.

Without the patch, I see this:

make[4]: *** No rule to make target `__ldivmod.o)', needed by
`/sources/dev86-0.16.17/libc/libc.a'.  Stop.

With the patch, I get past that error, but get:

<snip loads of similar errors to the following:
00159              mov	spbbp
***** comma expected.........................................^
***** factor expected........................................^
***** illegal indirect to indirect...........................^

00100 errors
00000 warnings
make[4]: *** [__ldivmod.o] Error 1

Any ideas?

For reference, I'm using the attached patch, which takes the upstream
commits in their entirety, including additional regression tests.

All 437 tests pass, so I'm assuming I'm missing something from my simple
'make' command for dev86?

Thanks,

Matt.