[blfs-support] Make 3.82 Dev86src triple bug fixes patch

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Thu Feb 16 11:26:20 PST 2012

I know this is more of a LFS issue (feel free to forward this to
LFS if you wish), but Make 3.82 has a few bugs that affect the
compilation of packages outside those required in LFS book.

In particular, the Dev86src package (needed to build lilo) cannot be
built using make 3.82. There is a CLFS patch for Dev86src to get
it to work under make 3.82:

http://www.mail-archive.com/clfs-dev@lists.cross-lfs.org/msg01541.html

But this is a workaround for an actual bug in make 3.82. Anyway, for
those interested, I found a patch that fixes this make bug as well as
two other ones.

The attached patch (collected by Michal Soltys <soltys at ziu.info>)
fixes several make 3.82 bugs (30612,30723,31743) the first of which
prevents the successful building of the Dev86src package
(http://www.debath.co.uk/dev86/) which is required to build the lilo
package (http://lilo.alioth.debian.org/).
These fixes have all been accepted upstream.

 * http://lists.crux.nu/pipermail/crux/2011-March/009482.html
 * http://www.mail-archive.com/clfs-dev@lists.cross-lfs.org/msg01541.html
 * http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4282254/dev86-compile-error
 * https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?30612
 * https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?30723
 * https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?31743 (inaccessible, bug number reused)
 * http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-make/2010-07/msg00200.html
 * http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-make/2010-08/msg00059.html
 * http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-make/2010-12/msg00000.html

After applying this patch and building make 3.82, all of its 428 check
tests (still) pass and I can now build Dev86src-0.16.18.

I for one am hoping that upstream does not wait as long to release
make 3.83 as they did make 3.82.

  Cheers,

  Mike Shell