[blfs-support] pcre-8.30

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 03:04:12 PST 2012

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 17:28:34 -0800 (PST)
Fernando de Oliveira <famobr at yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> It took a while to answer you, because there were localization issues. Last and annoying one was the keyboard layout indicator on lxpanel  which was displaying US, instead of BR as default. I was going to write this, and suddenly it switched to the right one without my intervention.
>
> Hoping to some env variables could be used when calling X, I have adapted a little your instructions:
>
>         user=fernando
>         su - ${user} -l -c "env LANG=pt_BR.utf8 xinit ~/.xinitrc &> ~/.x-session-errors"

That looks fine, but for what it's worth, I set environment variables
like LANG in /etc/profile and then source /etc/profile from
~/.bash_profile. Now that I think back, I seem to recall that I first
did this so that lxpanel would show the date correctly (it was showing
it in the American style). I like lxpanel. It's not perfect but it's
good enough and it only has 2 dependencies.

> If you tell me that for some reason I should do /etc/X11/xinitrc instead of ~/.xinitrc, I will change immeadiately.

It's fine, ~/.xinitrc is the default for xinit so you don't need to
specify it. I just put the file somewhere else so that other users get
the same desktop. Also I can try other things in ~/.xinitrc and then
run xinit from the login prompt for testing.

Andy