[blfs-support] Questions on (b)lfs-bootscripts-20120127

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 02:14:33 PST 2012

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 5:42 PM,  <alupu at verizon.net> wrote:
>  >>>> Alex:>>>> 4. How is the 'setclock' script run on "stop" (reboot, poweroff, etc.)?

>>> Alex:
>>> So the bottom line is 'setclock' no longer stops nowadays,
>>> i.e., we'll forever miss the thrill of seeing
>>> the current script code section,
>>> stop)
>>> "Setting hardware clock..."
>>> hwclock --systohc ...
>>> in action.
>

>> Bruce:
>> Your distro, your rules. Put it back.
>

> Ain't it a shame for this beautiful code, part of this distro of ours, LFS,
> to go to waste?
>

> -- Alex

The reason it was disabled, was that we believed that one clock source
did a better job of keeping accurate time, then switching between 2
(system, and the hardware clock).

We actually use this code in BLFS, under
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/basicnet/ntp.html as we
consider ntpd an accurate source.

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)