[blfs-support] pcre-8.30

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 14:17:24 PST 2012

Fernando de Oliveira wrote:

> I used to do that for months (or even years?) until one day I read
> about security issues if not using a dm,

That seems pretty lame.  You only need to do Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to a
login prompt unless there has been changes to the default inittab.

and installed slim. I have
> spent about an hour now, trying to find it if it was on Arch or
> Gentoo, without success. As I do not have much security knowledge, I
> believed it.

I'd like to see that rationale.  Most dm instances are a bigger problem
because they usually enable XDMCP by default.

> Also, I notice that most linux distros use one.

Most distros pander to the computer illiterate.

   -- Bruce