[blfs-support] pcre-8.30

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 12 14:16:40 PST 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 01:41:09PM -0800, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:

> grep. That error message is from pcre-8.30 build log. It is called from the build script, after installation and ldconfig:
>
>       BUILD_DIR_SIZE=`du -sck \
>       $TMPDIR/$BUILDDIR | grep total | cut -d"t" -f1`
>
> I believe you recognize. It is from your suggestion to me, some months ago. And it is good, not only for the intended purpose, but it warned me, with that complaint. I should not have tried to reboot without fixing pcre before.
>
> Also it is a shame that I should have also paid more attention to the remarks on BLFS pcre-8.30 page *Command Explanations*
>
> "--libdir=/lib: This option makes it install its libraries into /lib. If you reinstall Grep after installing PCRE, Grep will get linked against PCRE and this may cause problems during the boot process if /usr is a separate mount point. If you have /usr/lib on the same partition as /lib you can omit this option"
>
> as one further warning to solve the issue before rebooting.

 Thinking about this a bit more, why was the old rebuilt grep not
using libpcre.so, rather than libpcre.so.0 ?  I've never rebuilt
grep after pcre is installed, so I don't know.

> > I always recommend booting to level 3 and using startx and not ?dm for
> > exactly this type of problem.
>
> I used to do that for months (or even years?) until one day I read about security issues if not using a dm, and installed slim. I have spent about an hour now, trying to find it if it was on Arch or Gentoo, without success. As I do not have much security knowledge, I believed it.
>
> Also, I notice that most linux distros use one.
>
> Please, I would like advice on that, as life would be much easier without dm's.

 My memory of slim is that I eventually hated it :)  Perhaps because
the text was too small, but I forget.  It would be interesting to see
that 'security' report.  I used to use gdm for convenience (before it
changed and stopped me seeing the results of the shutdown scripts -
unpleasant when my development created an error in them), but the
reason distros use dm's is that "users expect to boot to a graphical
desktop".  AFAIK, there are no security reasons to prefer a
graphical login - although, arguably, in an office with multiple
users a tty login where xorg is not running will not load a
screensaver when a machine is unattended.

ĸen