[blfs-support] no keyboard or mouse in Xorg

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 09:35:13 PST 2012

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 02:23:59PM +0100, Thomas de Roo wrote:
>> I did build Xorg in /usr/X11. That shouldn't be a problem, right? I'm not sure what went wrong, but I found a workaround: I moved all the options in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/* to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, leaving /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d empty. Now X works, don't ask me why, though...
>>
>> Thanks for the help!
>> Thomas
>>
>  Glad you got it working.  In *theory*, /usr/X11 (or, indeed, any
> other prefix) *shouldn't* be a problem (if PKG_CONFIG_PATH, PATH and
> /etc/ld.so.conf know about it - but problems from that would
> normally be *build* problems).  Some time ago (between 2 and 4
> years ago, I think) I tried building xorg in /somewhere/xorg-v.w.x
> and similarly gnome in /somewhere/gnome-2.ab.c (I forget if I was
> using /opt or /usr for the 'somewhere').  The theory was that I
> would be able to update xorg, and similarly the part of gnome that I
> was using, without rebuilding the system.
>
>  In the event, I abandonned that - too many build problems.  Now I
> build my normal things in /usr (occasionally, I make an exception for
> disreputable packages that I need to use for something in the book -
> they go in /opt and are only referenced when needed [ so, nothing
> that installs a library - I don't try to modify ld.so.conf ].

I followed the instructions for building in /opt just last December and
it works fine.  Yes, I did add one line to /etc/ld.so.conf, and
PATH/PKG_CONFIG_PATH are updated too.  I used:

XORG_CONFIG='--prefix=/opt/xorg --sysconfdir=/etc \
              --mandir=/opt/xorg/share/man --localstatedir=/var'
XORG_PREFIX=/opt/xorg

>  The bigger problem with using other prefixes so that newer versions
> can be built without trashing the current version is that libraries
> *do* change - if I've linked all my desktop packages against a
> year-old version of xorg, updating *might* cause obscure breakage.

I've not seen any problems at all.

   -- Bruce