[blfs-support] libpng-1.5.2 on lfs-6.8

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 08:06:47 PST 2012

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 01:03:57 +0300
Thanos Baloukas <baloukasthan at sch.gr> wrote:

> mv dfn3.out scripts/symbols.out
> rm -f scripts/symbols.chk symbols.new
> gawk -f ./scripts/checksym.awk ./scripts/symbols.def\
>      scripts/symbols.out >&2
> highest symbol ordinal in png.h, 1020, exceeds last ordinal from png.h 221
> *** A new list is in symbols.new ***
> make: *** [scripts/symbols.chk] Error 1
>
> same for both patches
>
> I would appreciate it if someone could reply to the question
> if the symbol issue on patched libpngs is critical.

Sorry to be replying to an old thread but I've just been googling on
this error and found this message with no replies. The problem is that
with libpng that has been patched with the animated png patch make
check produces an error. As Google didn't provide me with an easy
solution I had to work one out for myself:

awk '/10[0-2][0-9],/{ gsub(/,png/, ", png")
  gsub(/PNG_EXPORT./, "")
  print " " $3 " @" $1 }' png.h >> scripts/symbols.def
sed -i 's#ORDINAL(233)#ORDINAL(1020)#' png.h
sed -i 's#"error"#"ignore"#' scripts/checksym.awk

I've added that to the book so that the libpng testsuite passes even if
it's been patched with the apng patch.

Andy