[blfs-support] no keyboard or mouse in Xorg

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 9 06:29:57 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 02:23:59PM +0100, Thomas de Roo wrote:
> I did build Xorg in /usr/X11. That shouldn't be a problem, right? I'm not sure what went wrong, but I found a workaround: I moved all the options in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/* to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, leaving /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d empty. Now X works, don't ask me why, though...
>
> Thanks for the help!
> Thomas

 Glad you got it working.  In *theory*, /usr/X11 (or, indeed, any
other prefix) *shouldn't* be a problem (if PKG_CONFIG_PATH, PATH and
/etc/ld.so.conf know about it - but problems from that would
normally be *build* problems).  Some time ago (between 2 and 4
years ago, I think) I tried building xorg in /somewhere/xorg-v.w.x
and similarly gnome in /somewhere/gnome-2.ab.c (I forget if I was
using /opt or /usr for the 'somewhere').  The theory was that I
would be able to update xorg, and similarly the part of gnome that I
was using, without rebuilding the system.

 In the event, I abandonned that - too many build problems.  Now I
build my normal things in /usr (occasionally, I make an exception for
disreputable packages that I need to use for something in the book -
they go in /opt and are only referenced when needed [ so, nothing
that installs a library - I don't try to modify ld.so.conf ].

 The bigger problem with using other prefixes so that newer versions
can be built without trashing the current version is that libraries
*do* change - if I've linked all my desktop packages against a
year-old version of xorg, updating *might* cause obscure breakage.

ĸen