[blfs-support] no keyboard or mouse in Xorg

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 8 15:18:05 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 10:47:08PM +0100, Thomas de Roo wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> I just finished building Xorg. I have xome problems getting the config right. When I start X, I get the following output:

> X.Org X Server 1.11.2

[ snipping things that look ok ]

> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Feb  8 22:36:29 2012
>
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
>
> (==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
>
> (==) Using system config directory "/usr/X11/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"

 How did you get /usr/X11/share/X11 ?  I suppose you have built xorg in
/usr/X11 instead of /usr.  Seems an unusual thing to do.

 I can see that the book symlinks /etc/X11 [ unnecessary for those
of us who build xorg in /usr, but perhaps useful if you are
intending to install newer versions of xorg on the same base system
- for myself, /usr (and good backups, with logs of what gets
installed) is far simpler.
> Parse error on line 7 of section InputClass in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
>
>         "Section" is not a valid keyword in this section.
>
> (EE) Problem parsing the config file
>
> (EE) Error parsing the config file
>

> Fatal server error:
>
> no screens found

 Well, my own 10-evdev.conf has
Section "InputClass"
on line 7 and appears to work.

 I also have 11-keyboard.conf (the name isn't important) with a
similar line.

 So, you are using what I regard as an odd --prefix (other people
here will think it is perfectly sane, and it certainly ought to work
if used *throughout_xorg*).  Did you use this prefix for *all* the
xorg packages ?

 Have you omitted any xorg packages ?  I omit *loads*, but I'm
thinking that you maybe missed something which handles how the conf
files are parsed.  I've certainly not seen any reports of this sort
of error, and for the moment it baffles me.

ĸen