[blfs-support] Some comments compiling kde4

Eduardo Batalha blfs-support at edbatalha.info
Wed Feb 8 15:06:58 PST 2012

Hi,

4.8.0 is the newest KDE and 4.6.0 is at least one year older. BLFS is in need
of an update for KDE4. The issue is that the dependency list for 4.8.0 is not
necessarily the same as for 4.6.0 (as you found out with the ontologies)
and/or you may need to do things in a different order or install more packages.
I haven't had the time yet to properly explore
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build and
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Distributions/Linux_From_Scratch
Not wanting to risk too much on my first build I downloaded 4.6.0 from the
attic at
http://mirrors.isc.org/pub/kde/Attic/4.6.0/src/

I now have a fully functioning 4.6.0 desktop. (In fact I'm writing this using
Kontact.)
But this is what I believe (going beyond) BLFS is all about, it's the freedom
to experiment. Please keep reporting on your progress.

Regards,
Eduardo