[blfs-support] Intro Xorg-7.6-2 - Should we Skip half the page if prefix = /usr ?

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 02:08:56 PST 2012

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:47:32 -0700
<jasonpsage at jegas.com> wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
> I'm dusting off my LFS 7.0 and BLFS work, and I have been thinkning
> about why XOrg won't compile for me.
>
> I keep hearing about references to PKG_CONFIG_PATH in emails here and in
> articles and things I find online.
>
> Does anyone think maybe I should NOT skip the rest of that page [ BLFS /
> x / xorg7.html ] ?
>
> It seems harmless enough to do if you have /usr as your prefix.

It depends. Personally I install everything into /usr, PKG_CONFIG_PATH
is unset on my systems (though I do occasionally set it if I'm testing
new things and installing them in my home directory). There are a bunch
of variables set on that page that I don't set, but then I started
installing xorg 7 before it was in the book so I had to work out how to
do it myself. Each of the packages that make up xorg are quite simple
and straightforward in themselves. If one of them won't compile it
should tell you what's missing

The key thing is, what's the problem you're having? What won't compile?
And what error message is it giving you? Often the error messages tell
you what's wrong and other times it's possible to work out what's wrong
(and how to fix it) from googling the error messages.

Andy