[blfs-support] Questions on (b)lfs-bootscripts-20120127

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 19:19:45 PST 2012

alupu at verizon.net wrote:
> This is a continuation of my OP.
>
> BTW, I'm finally talking Blfs here :)
>
> 3.  The blfs 'Makefile'
>
> If the comment,
>  "# The grep can probably be improved upon."
> refers to
>
> 3.1. 'grep' proper
> the 'grep' line looks good to me (for whatever that's worth :).
>
> 3.2. If it refers to the output,
> <<
> install-service-dhclient
> install-xinetd
> Select an appropriate install target from the above list
>
> spread over two pages (i.e., not legible in one view),
> there is an "improvement" that displays as a shorter, bunched-up list:
> <<
> install-service-dhclient install-service-dhcpcd install-service-bridge
> install-service-ipx install-service-pppoe install-alsa install-httpd
> install-autofs install-bind install-cups install-cyrus-sasl install-dbus
> install-dhcp install-exim install-fam install-fcron install-gdm install-gpm
> install-haldaemon install-heimdal install-iptables install-kerberos
> install-lisa install-lprng install-mysql install-nas install-netfs
> install-nfs-client install-nfs-server install-ntpd install-openldap1
> install-openldap2 install-portmap install-postfix install-postgresql
> install-proftpd install-random install-rpcbind install-rsyncd install-samba
> install-swat install-sendmail install-soprano install-qpopper install-sshd
> install-stunnel install-svn install-sysstat install-virtuoso install-vsftpd
> install-winbind install-xinetd
> Select an appropriate install target from the above list

I don't like that.  I think it's very hard to read/find what you are
looking for.  There are 53 lines in the output and that's not
unreasonable.  Even if you are using a console with 25 lines, you can
still use shift-pgup to see what scrolled off.  My windows are 77 lines
so I see everything in one easy to read list.

> 3.3 IF, as a third possibility, the problem is the ugly
>  << make: *** [all] Error 1 >>
> at the end of it all,
>
> that's obviously obvious that it can be eliminated by changing
> 'exit 1' to 'exit 0'

I think that's a reasonable thing to do, however a more straightforward
way is to remove the exit command completely.  I'll do that at the next
commit.

   -- Bruce