Config-less Xorg & xkb config

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 28 14:20:41 PDT 2010

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:58:09 +0100, Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running Xorg in a config-less setup.  Everything seems to be working
> fine, apart from it's using the 'us' keyboard layout as its default.
> I'd prefer to remain config-less, if at all possible as, so far, this
> would be the only option that I'd need to cusomise.

Just in case anyone else runs into this, I've finally gotten around to fixing it
properly:

mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
cat > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/keyboard.conf << EOF
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier      "Keyboard Defaults"
    MatchIsKeyboard "true"
    Option          "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection
EOF

Thanks to the guys at ArchLinux for documenting this at
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Example:_Keyboard_layout_and_model_on_Acer_5920G_Laptop.

I now have a config-less X server (well, no xorg.conf, just the override above), using Udev
for its device detection, and no HAL in sight!  The only drivers I built were evdev & vesa.

Regards,

Matt.