MySQL and "More Control/Package Users" Package Mgmt

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 25 21:15:38 PDT 2010

On 06/24/2010 01:33 AM, Timothy Rice wrote:
>> True, considering the for statement just walks through the entire
>> directory
>> anyhow.
>> Maybe there's another reason for walking through the directory, other than
>> just taking the opportunity to catch any other missed dir entries?
>
> It occurred to me that maybe once mysql is installed, info can then use
> mysql to, say, manage a database of entries, or something. Pure
> conjecture, but if true, it could explain why dir would need to be
> rebuilt. However, nothing I've noticed in any documentation for either
> mysql or info suggests that this is actually true.
>
> Now, if nothing like that is really going on, then may I submit to the
> BLFS editors that the suggested install commands for mysql be streamlined
> and simplified? If the walk through the entire directory is just to pick
> up any info files that have been missed to date, then I don't think that
> should be part of the mysql install. It would be more appropriate to put
> such tidying up in a module of its own.

I suspect that there were more info files at one time (best guess).  The
only installed file is mysql.info with 5.1.47.  install-info should work
fine without deleting the dir file.  Not sure about MCPM as I don't use
it, but I'd suspect that you'd want to update the info dir as the root
user anyway so that it is not incorrectly owned by the package user for
mysql.

-- DJ Lucas