zlib-1.2.5 => firefox crash

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 09:28:01 PDT 2010

Mike McCarty wrote:
> x2164 at lycos.com wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>    I thought i'd read, several years ago, that there is a way of running
>>    the kernel in one of the debuggers like 'gdb'.  There has to be something
>>    better then having to re-boot for each test. :-)
>
> There is some low level debugging available, but it isn't as nice as
> gdb. One technique some have used successfully is to use UML and run
> the kernel as a more or less ordinary process.

I got the reboot process down to a couple of minutes.  My test machine
is pretty fast, so a reboot that succeeds only takes about 30 seconds.
A failure requires a reset and POST so that takes a minute or so.

>>    I'm still concerned about using gcc-4.5.0 to build my

> IMO, gcc 4.x is not quite "there" yet.

I have considered reverting -dev to gcc-4.4.4.  AFAIK, there haven't
been the significant problems reported with the 4.4.x series.

I've done a lot of testing, but I've been holding off a bit lately to
let gcc development mature.

   -- Bruce