libmng-1.0.10

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 3 11:49:36 PDT 2010

On 3 June 2010 18:41, Trent Shea <trentshea at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working on my first x86_64 system build using the 6.6 book, and I've run
> into a bit of trouble with libmng.

[...]
> /usr/bin/ld: libmng_chunk_io.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata' can
> not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> libmng_chunk_io.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [libmng.so.1.1.0.9] Error 1
>
> As suggested I added -fPIC to the build:
> diff makefiles/makefile.linux
> /media/data.castra/build/libmng-1.0.10/makefiles/makefile.linux
> 47c47
> < CFLAGS=-I$(ZLIBINC) -I$(JPEGINC) -I$(LCMSINC) -Wall -O3 -funroll-loops \
> ---
>> CFLAGS=-I$(ZLIBINC) -I$(JPEGINC) -I$(LCMSINC) -fPIC -Wall -O3 -funroll-loops
> \
>
> I'm curious if anyone else has seen this, and if so am I on the right track? I
> do see that Debian has added -fPIC to their CFLAGS. I'm afraid there's not a
> test suite with this package and I probably won't find out if everything works
> until after qt or maybe kde. Anyhow I guess I'm just looking for a bit of hand
> holding and posting to see if a ticket regarding this is warranted.

 I used to see it (I stopped building libmng over a year ago because I couldn't
find any need for it).  In my case I used to

sed -e 's%-O3%-O3 -fPIC%' \
                 makefiles/makefile.linux >Makefile

 which is nearly the same as you are doing..

I also have to force it in a52dec-0.7.4 (add to CFLAGS when running
configure) and ghostscript-8.70 where I took the fix from cblfs and
adapted it when the file moved -
sed -i "s/CFLAGS='/&-fPIC /g" base/unix-dll.mak

 When I first played with pure64 there were several other packages
that needed fPIC added.  Slowly, the old ones are either being relaced
or dropping out of use.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"