Experiencing lots of build problems

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 26 14:45:44 PST 2010

On 26 February 2010 21:40, brown wrap <gramos at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In file included from activate.c:27:
> /usr/include/string.h:546: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before '__locale_t'
> /usr/include/string.h:547: error: nonnull argument with out-of-range operand number (argument 1, operand 3)
> /usr/include/string.h:550: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before '__locale_t'
> /usr/include/string.h:551: error: nonnull argument with out-of-range operand number (argument 1, operand 4)
> make[1]: *** [activate.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/final-sources-lfs-6.6/blfs/net-tools-1.60/lib'
> make: *** [subdirs] Error 2
>
> This is typical of what will not build. I am trying to build net-tools-1.60 . This  is similar to a problem I ran into yesterday. When a build wants to include /usr/include/string.h it seems to blow up. I went through the entire process of LFS and with the exception of USB, eventually got everything to work. string.h has a date od Februart 5th, so I don't think I clobbered it. I applied the three patches to net-tools, but it fails on this make. I am trying to get ifconfig. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

 Those 'expected declaration' errors are typical of a package
which has not been updated for recent versions of gcc (i.e.
4.2, 4.3, and 4.4 have increasingly enforced adherence to
stabdards).

 Doesn't surprise me, because an earlier thread this month
identified that net-tools lacks maintenance.  Read it in the
archives for alternative suggestions, or look through all the
fedora patches to find which are appropriate, either where
Bruce put them
ftp://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/other/net-tools/
or at fedora
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/net-tools/F-13/
(yes, looking through a batch of patches like that is
hard and tedious, but hardly anyone uses net-tools
with recent toolchains, so experience here will be
thin on the ground.

 You do seem to be starting with "obscure" packages,
and this has caused you to be near the bleeding edge.

In general, fedora, debian unstable (you'll need to pull
off the diff.gz from the local mirror, then find the patches
(which create new files to be applied in their build -
strip off the new-file headers and the initial character
to leave a patch you can apply directly - educational!),
and (sometimes) gentoo ebuilds will point you to fixes.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"