Xorg -configure

Carl Thorn thorncs at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 26 03:38:20 PST 2010

________________________________
From: William Tracy <afishionado at gmail.com>
To: BLFS Support List <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Thu, February 25, 2010 10:57:42 PM
Subject: Re: Xorg -configure

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Should come back ins a second or two.  If not, reboot and check to see
> if any logs were created e.g. /var/log/Xorg.0.log

You should be able to just kill X without rebooting. ctrl + alt +
backspace should do it; you may have to press twice with never
versions of X.

--
William Tracy
Work: wtracy at cisco.com
Play: afishionado at gmail.com
Cell phone: (805) 704-0917
Internet phone: (707) 206-6441

I got X to work. By deleting the drivers mentioned in the hint. The first time I tried to compile the driver file I commented out the suggested drivers but Xorg -configure just produced a driver not found error. I recompiled the driver files with wget.list uncommented and Xorg -configure produced the blank screen. Once I deleted the drivers mentioned in the hint every thing worked as it is supposed to but the keyboard and mouse. I also had to recompile the kernel because I didn't have the proper video driver in the config file. But the keyboard doesn't work when I start X. Pressing control alt backspace does nothing.