mp3 and flv players for stdin ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:13:36 PST 2010

On 24 February 2010 07:35, Simon Geard <delgarde at ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:40:29 +0000, Ken Moffat
> <zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com>
>>  The perl script is less than 9400 lines, so I might yet be tempted
>> to try to work out what is going on, when I've got a spare month.
>
> You say that like 9400 lines of Perl isn't all that much? I have to
> disagree - for a single file, that's immense by the standards of *any*
> language, never mind one as obtuse as Perl. A Perl script a tenth of that
> size, and I'd run screaming from the room, and I used to do that for a
> living...
>
> Simon..
> --
 The important phrase was "when I've got a spare month" :)
Some of the file is 3 (!) versions of help (basic, intermediate,
advanced), it's not all code.

 As an ex COBOL programmer, whose programming started
by trying to write languages (FORTH using subroutine calls, and
then modifying small C to use z80 assembler instead of 8080)
I'm not too worried about the length of files (indeed my last
multilib xorg build was 11,000+ lines - but frankly
unmanageable).

 FWIW, my current "xorg" script is still > 5000 lines, mostly
a lot of templates to test for stamps, build if the stamp
doesn't exist, and tell me where it has got to (a legacy of
a previous piece of **** called the AmigaOne that used to
lock up at random when it overheated).  I'm intending to
move my current scripts to git next month, now that I can
see the benefits of a *good* version control system (and
also I can see the need to use git regularly so I can become
semi-comptent) - after that, there will be "rather more
scripts" (one per package), plus a few driver-scripts, with
 branches for the changes.  But meanwhile...

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"