why gcc must be built two times?

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 23 07:02:16 PST 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 06:04:07 -0800 (PST), Marco Marzetta <aristarcoarchetipo at yahoo.it> wrote:
> Hi, I finished building LFS. Now
> looking through the manual I find BLFS to section 6.3 to install GCC
> version 4.1.2, but in reality GCC is already installed with LFS in
> paragraph 6.15 and in a version 4.4.1. Why should I install twice the same
> package?! What is this mess?!

None of BLFS is mandatory, so you don't *have* to do anything.  The reinstallation of GCC is
necessary if you want to install compilers for additional languages, such as Java, on top of
the C & C++ compilers installed in LFS.  BLFS installs an older version of GCC, I think,
because the BLFS book is so big, nobody has had time to verify that installing the latest
version works with the other packages in BLFS.

Regards,

Matt.