why gcc must be built two times?

Nicolas FRANCOIS nicolas.francois at free.fr
Tue Feb 23 06:52:35 PST 2010

Le Tue, 23 Feb 2010 06:04:07 -0800 (PST),
Marco Marzetta <aristarcoarchetipo at yahoo.it> a écrit :

> Hi, I finished building LFS. Now
> looking through the manual I find BLFS to section 6.3 to install GCC
> version 4.1.2, but in reality GCC is already installed with LFS in
> paragraph 6.15 and in a version 4.4.1. Why should I install twice the
> same package?! What is this mess?!

First, the BLFS book isn't to be followed linearly like the LFS book.
It's more like a collection of HOWTOs to install specific programs or
libraries.

Second, the BLFS book is quite outdated these days, so that explains
the difference of versions between GCC in LFS end GCC in BLFS.

Third, the GCC instructions in the BLFS book install only C and C++
compilers, because that is what is needed for a basic system. The
BLFS instructions show how to install more compilers, like Java, Ada,
Fortran, Objective C... So you use those instructions (or better, you
adapt them) if you need those specific compilers.

Hope I was clear.

\bye

--

Nicolas FRANCOIS                      |  /\
http://nicolas.francois.free.fr       | |__|