mp3 and flv players for stdin ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 23 06:40:29 PST 2010

On 23 February 2010 10:17, Simon Geard <delgarde at ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:34:45 +0000, Ken Moffat
> <zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> Any suggestions for something that's easy to build (no 'cmake',
>> please),  and can play .flv video files from stdin ?
>
> I'm afraid I can't provide specifics, but I'd be surprised if gstreamer
> didn't include a source that read from stdin, which you could invoke with
> it's command-line tools. Searching the docs, or perhaps enquiring on the
> gstreamer lists, might give you a more detailed answer.
>
> For that matter, is it really necessary to supply the data on stdin? I
> don't know what your perl script does, but if data is being streamed from
> the net, surely there's a url that you might be able to pass to gstreamer
> (or better yet, to Totem)?
>
> Simon.
> --
 Thanks for those suggestions.  At the moment I'm going with the
"record, then play" option (and experimenting with ffmpeg2theora
for anything I think I want to save).

 The perl script is less than 9400 lines, so I might yet be tempted
to try to work out what is going on, when I've got a spare month.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"