mp3 and flv players for stdin ?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Feb 23 02:17:32 PST 2010

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:34:45 +0000, Ken Moffat
<zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Any suggestions for something that's easy to build (no 'cmake',
> please),  and can play .flv video files from stdin ?

I'm afraid I can't provide specifics, but I'd be surprised if gstreamer
didn't include a source that read from stdin, which you could invoke with
it's command-line tools. Searching the docs, or perhaps enquiring on the
gstreamer lists, might give you a more detailed answer.

For that matter, is it really necessary to supply the data on stdin? I
don't know what your perl script does, but if data is being streamed from
the net, surely there's a url that you might be able to pass to gstreamer
(or better yet, to Totem)?

Simon.