mp3 and flv players for stdin ?

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 07:50:08 PST 2010

On 22/02/10 14:34, Ken Moffat wrote:
> I'm trying out get_iplayer (a command line self-updating perl
> script to get music and video programs from the BBC, at least
> for those of us in the UK ).  The apps to play audio (possibly
> mp3) or video (definitely flv) need to get their feed from stdin.
>
> At the moment I'm using 'ffplay' from ffmpeg, which works,
> but it is a very minimalist player (e.g. no way to pause it, no
> display of how far I've gone).  Tried 'xine -', but that failed to
> find anything.

Have you tried recording the programme and then playing the file? I don't have many .flv
videos to hand, but the few I do have xine plays. I have a digital TV card so I've not
needed to use get_iplayer before. I've just installed get_iplayer to see if I can help. I
had a quick play with it and for me it seems to be saving the files as a .mov by default.
Why's it saving them as .flv for you and .mov for me? Maybe it's because I don't have
Mplayer installed?

Sorry I can't help

Andy