Git configuration

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sun Feb 21 23:42:33 PST 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 10:27 +0000, Andrew Benton wrote:
> I'm surprised that git couldn't be configured to only track the
> current files.

Why surprised? That's the fundamental purpose of a version control
system, to keep track of *every* version that's been committed to it. If
it only kept the current files, how could you revert to a previous
commit?

> I've decided to use a combination of git (to track the build scripts)
> and to distribute everything else I'll use rsync.

Yes, that makes more sense for this problem. Git is a good choice for
tracking revisions to your scripts (I use it for that myself), but very
much the wrong tool for distributing tarballs across a network.

Simon.