Building LFS/BLFS through ssh session question

Pol Vangheluwe pol.vangheluwe at belgacom.net
Thu Feb 18 14:04:50 PST 2010

Op 17-feb-2010, om 07:01 heeft stosss het volgende geschreven:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> kde generally uses konsole.  Do you really mean xterm?
>>
>> Does PCLinuxOS have any /dev/tty* devices?
>>
>> On the remote system, is it vi or vim?
>>
>> I think you are saying PCLinuxOS is the ssh client, but what is the sshd
>> server?
>>
>> Typically, I just 'ssh host' to get a bash prompt and run vi->vim from
>> there.
>
> PCLOS is the client and my lfs 6.5 is the server. Yes ssh host does
> work in the terminal.
>
> PCLOS is a Mandriva fork and they both use all those different drake
> tools for a lot of the config stuff. I don't think PCLOS follows FHS
> closely. vim behaves very strangely in PCLOS any way, not like Fedora,
> Debian and LFS.
> --

I have built LFS 6.4 completely remotely on my home network.
I upload the sources with FTP and used telnet until I had enough tools to build openssh-4.7p1 (according BLFS-6.3).
My client is the "Terminal" program of my Apple iMac.
I built vim-7.2 and can use it in my ssh session.  There are however some inconveniences:
- the sceenwidth always reduces automatically to (about) 80 characters when I start vim;
- a CR seems to be inserted in existing lines, longer then (about) 80 characters;
- the text appears in unexpected colors with coloured background, which makes it mostly difficult to read.
I always observe a double login when I start a ssh session.  I started a post about it (http://www.mail-archive.com/lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org/msg11394.html) but got no reply.

So I use vim only for simple tasks.  For more complex editing, I mount the remote disk on my iMac and use a local editor.
To do so, I had to build netatalk-2.0.4 (not in the BLFS book) and to write an appropriate bootscript for the appletalk daemon.

pvg