BLFS-6.4RC1 or any

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 00:33:17 PST 2010

Simon Geard wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 08:32 -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>> If the community's expectations are that we have the most current
>> release of every package in the most recent BLFS book, then the
>> expectations are too high and are unreasonable.
>
> It's not a reasonable expectation that the book will *always* have the
> most recent release, at any point in time. But it's somewhat troubling
> if we can't get the latest release into the book before it ceases to be
> the latest release.
>
> I guess that to my mind, it seems reasonable that a new package release
> might be incorporated into the book within a few months of release. As
> you say, incremental Gnome releases don't tend to be all that different
> to build, and I've typically had my home system upgraded within a few
> weeks.

The problem is volume.  There are about 300 packages in the book.  Most
are updated 2 or more times a year.  I'd estimate there are two packages
a day on average.   Some of the packages are very large and complex,
e.g. firefox, gcc, gnome, kde.  They also need ot be integrated -- you
can't really update just a part of kde or gnome.  They have to be done
pretty much all at once.

> Now, since that clearly isn't possible at the moment, can you comment on
> why, and how people might help improve the situation?

Patches to the xml for sets of the complcated packages on a regular
basis would be helpful, but editors still need to check those until the
submitter has shown quality work.

   -- Bruce