Building LFS/BLFS through ssh session question

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 22:01:36 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> stosss wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> What was the workaround that solved your problem?
>>
>> Okay, in the xterm it will not work at all (this is on a PCLinuxOS
>> kde4.3.4) but switching from F7 to F1-F6 into the terminal and trying
>> it from there worked like it is supposed to work. Still waiting to see
>> if anyone from PCLOS and kde know why it is not working in kde4 xterm.
>>
>> If some one does not know the command string ssh -t user at rhost 'vi
>> directory/file' works like a charm.
>
> kde generally uses konsole.  Do you really mean xterm?
>
> Does PCLinuxOS have any /dev/tty* devices?
>
> On the remote system, is it vi or vim?
>
> I think you are saying PCLinuxOS is the ssh client, but what is the sshd
> server?
>
> Typically, I just 'ssh host' to get a bash prompt and run vi->vim from
> there.

PCLOS is the client and my lfs 6.5 is the server. Yes ssh host does
work in the terminal.

PCLOS is a Mandriva fork and they both use all those different drake
tools for a lot of the config stuff. I don't think PCLOS follows FHS
closely. vim behaves very strangely in PCLOS any way, not like Fedora,
Debian and LFS.