Building LFS/BLFS through ssh session question

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 19:47:54 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:18 PM, ALIP BUDIANTO <rabbit8888 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 5:49 PM, stosss <stosss at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 7:42 PM, stosss <stosss at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Will building LFS/BLFS through an ssh session have adverse effects on
>> > the build?
>> >
>> > I have noticed that vim does not work at all when I am connected to
>> > LFS via ssh but works without problem when logged in directly to the
>> > LFS computer.
>> >

>> I found out that vim will not work across ssh without the correct
>> switches and command string. I learned that vim uses tty. I learned
>> that ssh does not give you a tty session, but there are ways around
>> that.
>> --
>
> Use sed to make it look for a pts of the ssh session?

I got around the problem. I have sent info to kde and the distro that
is having the problem to see if they can figure out where the problem
is. It is happening on kde4.3.4 on my PCLinuxOS but it does not happen
in kde3.5.10 on any distro I have tried. The problem is vim will not
work across ssh in xterm on kde4 on PCLinuxOS but will in a real
terminal.

Initially I was wondering if I was messing up my build on (B)LFS doing
it over ssh because vim was freaking out. I know what I have to do to
make it work so its all good.