BLFS-6.4RC1 or any

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 14:03:18 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Chris Staub <chris at beaker67.com> wrote:
> On 02/16/2010 03:18 PM, stosss wrote:
>>
>> I don't like the moving target either, but I have seen that it does
>> not change all that much. Some times there are no changes for several
>> days. Even if there are changes every day they might not be changes in
>> the package version but changes in the text with no changes to
>> packages. Some times the packages that change are ones that you
>> haven't even gotten to yet or have no intention of installing.
>>
>> I switched from the 02-03-2010 to 02-15-2010 and found openssl, CA
>> bundle, and wget had changed which I had already installed. I ran the
>> changes and the system still works, nothing broke. I also saw that
>> unzip had changed, no problem because I was about to install unzip. I
>> installed the new one. Those were the only changes that effected my
>> build with no adverse consequence.
>>
>> The key to the moving target is the change log has to be up-to-date
>> and correct so you can see what changed. I am not saying its not.
>>
>> This is why I would really like to see the book devs go to posting a
>> snapshot only when there has been a change to the book. If the
>> snapshot was only posted when changes happen then you would only need
>> to check the site every night to see if you do need to download the
>> new version. Book devs I am not complaining. I am making a suggestion
>> and this is not an unrealistic suggestion. It would be very useful to
>> everyone and would not have any impact on the book.
>
> Generally, the date in the book is updated anytime there is any change
> at all. Some changes to the book are minor enough that there doesn't
> need to be a Changelog entry (such as a simple typo fix), but the date
> is updated anyway because the book has changed. Generally, anything that
> is significant enough to potentially require rebuilding something *will*
> be mentioned in the Changelog.

There was about 7 to 9 days or so in the first half of this month that
the date of the book did not change but there was a nightly snapshot
any way. This is what I am talking about. If there are no significant
changes like instructions or packages, then there would be no reason
to change the book date and no reason to post a snapshot. Again I am
not complaining just pointing out that this could be cleaned up to
make it easier for everyone.

> If the book has an updated date and no Changelog entry for that day,
> just check the svn log to see what was committed.

What is the URL for the svn log?