BLFS-6.4RC1 or any

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Tue Feb 16 13:46:30 PST 2010

On 02/16/2010 03:18 PM, stosss wrote:

> I don't like the moving target either, but I have seen that it does
> not change all that much. Some times there are no changes for several
> days. Even if there are changes every day they might not be changes in
> the package version but changes in the text with no changes to
> packages. Some times the packages that change are ones that you
> haven't even gotten to yet or have no intention of installing.
>
> I switched from the 02-03-2010 to 02-15-2010 and found openssl, CA
> bundle, and wget had changed which I had already installed. I ran the
> changes and the system still works, nothing broke. I also saw that
> unzip had changed, no problem because I was about to install unzip. I
> installed the new one. Those were the only changes that effected my
> build with no adverse consequence.
>
> The key to the moving target is the change log has to be up-to-date
> and correct so you can see what changed. I am not saying its not.
>
> This is why I would really like to see the book devs go to posting a
> snapshot only when there has been a change to the book. If the
> snapshot was only posted when changes happen then you would only need
> to check the site every night to see if you do need to download the
> new version. Book devs I am not complaining. I am making a suggestion
> and this is not an unrealistic suggestion. It would be very useful to
> everyone and would not have any impact on the book.

Generally, the date in the book is updated anytime there is any change
at all. Some changes to the book are minor enough that there doesn't
need to be a Changelog entry (such as a simple typo fix), but the date
is updated anyway because the book has changed. Generally, anything that
is significant enough to potentially require rebuilding something *will*
be mentioned in the Changelog.

If the book has an updated date and no Changelog entry for that day,
just check the svn log to see what was committed.