BLFS-6.4RC1 or any

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 12:18:58 PST 2010

>>> That is exactly the big problem!
>>> You will *always* be working on BLFS for more than 1 day.
>
> On 2/16/10, Ken Moffat  wrote:
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/downloads/svn/
>> OK, I admit it looks just like a load of patches, but within
>> it there are two tar archives, for blfs-book (-svn-html,
>> currently 2010-02-16) and blfs-bootcripts (currently
>> 2009-03-02).
>> simples :)
>
> That doesn't solve the moving target because there is only the latest copy.

I don't like the moving target either, but I have seen that it does
not change all that much. Some times there are no changes for several
days. Even if there are changes every day they might not be changes in
the package version but changes in the text with no changes to
packages. Some times the packages that change are ones that you
haven't even gotten to yet or have no intention of installing.

I switched from the 02-03-2010 to 02-15-2010 and found openssl, CA
bundle, and wget had changed which I had already installed. I ran the
changes and the system still works, nothing broke. I also saw that
unzip had changed, no problem because I was about to install unzip. I
installed the new one. Those were the only changes that effected my
build with no adverse consequence.

The key to the moving target is the change log has to be up-to-date
and correct so you can see what changed. I am not saying its not.

This is why I would really like to see the book devs go to posting a
snapshot only when there has been a change to the book. If the
snapshot was only posted when changes happen then you would only need
to check the site every night to see if you do need to download the
new version. Book devs I am not complaining. I am making a suggestion
and this is not an unrealistic suggestion. It would be very useful to
everyone and would not have any impact on the book.