Openssh chapter 19

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 00:44:30 PST 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 3:19 AM, Jan-Christoph Bornschlegel
<trollfood at googlemail.com> wrote:
> stosss schrieb:
> [...]
>> I use /usr for everything. During the build process executable
>> binaries should go in /usr/bin. The sentence says copy it there. If it
>> is not there already then where is it? Does it not get put there until
>> make install? Because the same paragraph says it needs to be there
>> before running make test, which is done before make install.
>
> Generally "make" creates executables somewhere under the directory where
> you call it, and "make install" copies them to /usr/bin, that's why make
> install must be done as root and the rest works under any user who can
> write to the build directory (given you don't have your /usr/bin world
> writable, of course -- and don't laugh, I knew people who "fixed"
> problems like this).
>
> So if you compile a package /src/foo-x.y.z.tar.bz2, you'll probably find
> the package under /src/foo-x.y.z/. If there is a ./build or ./bin or
> whatever depends on the package. Exceptions, of course, gcc and
> binutils, which use own build directories -- but you are there when yu
> call make, aren't you?
>
> If I wonder what is new after make, I just run "ls -alrtR in the package
> source directory and compare the timestamp. Or I touch a file _before_
> make and then use find -newer :)
> Or I look at the Makefile.
>
> So without knowing the package, I guess from reading here:
> "If you happen to have a scp binary already, no matter where it comes
> from, save it somewhere and replace it by the newly built one, because
> the testsuite expects it to reside in /usr/bin. And if it's not there,
> just make a copy for test"
>
> make install will overwrite it later anyway.

Thanks, I went ahead and unpacked and built the package, copied scp to
/usr/bin, ran the test, no errors at all, ran grep it came back clean.
Installed the package tried connecting to one of my other OSs no
problem. started sshd no problem.

After doing it the sentence was easy to understand. Sorry for the noise.